Dev-Diary: 20

Hey everyone!

I am exhausted… I’ve been putting in the extra effort to get my demo done asap because it’s taking a really long time to produce something that not many people will actually see. A lot of the time has been consumed by simply fixing the engine along the way, however now all my Demo time is being consumed by actually making it presentable, especially the ‘Free-Play’ area which doubles as a showcase for what I hope to achieve with the projects using the engine.

Unfortunately, despite how intense work has been, there isn’t much that I can talk about mostly because I have been spending the majority of my waking, at-home, time drawing visuals. That being said, I will drop you all a little shot of how the ‘Free Play’ area is coming along! It still has to be updated; some of the walling needs to be re-textured, it needs to be cluttered, and the background needs to be drawn up, but IT’S SO CLOSE! After that, it’s character animations, menu visuals, sprucing up the (already completed) racing levels and a final bug-sweep. Let’s try and get this all in a week, yes?

Because it is so close to completion, friendly reminder that if you want to be added to the tester list for the Demo, just send me a message through the contact page on this website. Till next time, all the best!

ME:Demo Screenshot

Dev-Diary: 19

Hey everyone!

On-time! Woo! The past two weeks have been up-and-down with productivity. I’ve been getting the last bits of the Demo tied up before I do all the final visuals, working on the story for the graphic novel, and doing more tests for the card game.

With the Demo, I’ve managed to (finally!) fix up two non-game breaking but very irritating bugs that have been sitting on the to-do list for a long time; thought bubble sync and trigger collision-detection. The engine uses thought-bubbles to tell the player when they can perform a certain action, and I had originally written up an animation-dependent function earlier on in the engine development (while I was still learning) to have the thought bubbles appear. However over time I realised animation-dependent functions open up a world of errors, and as such I re-wrote it so that it is handled by the script (how a proper program works, which is why I have done this with most animation-dependent functions) and it now looks and operates much cleaner. This works in-hand with the trigger collision-detection patch which now allows running a wider and more accurate check for the player hitting and interacting with certain triggers, which has made the triggers hit more cleanly and general game-play much smoother and more fast-paced. According to my to-do list I don’t think I have any more recorded bug-fixes left (one can only hope) so it is now onto finishing up the last small sections and doing all the final visuals!

I’ve also been working on my other projects! I’ve had a few good meet-ups with my amazing artist and we’ve been making great progress to forming the story and the art for the graphic novel! I get more and more excited every time we meet up! I’ve also been able to test my current card game a few more times in different numbers and have a pretty good idea about how to modify it for the next iteration.

All in all, despite many other distractions/commitments, I think I’ve been making pretty good progress! I look forward to next time, till then, all the best!