Hey all! Sorry I’m a day late again; time and tech and work.
Offt, this has been a stressful fortnight! I’ve been grinding hard to get this engine as completed as possible to regain lost-time. While not entirely caught-up, I have fortunately managed to get a LOT done! There’s still more to do, but I’m entering a stage where I can start working on art assets so I can start building the game world properly!
Unfortunately, no images this post as a lot of my time has been coding based. However! A brief run-down on things I’ve managed get running! Menus now work; from pause menus, to the main menu, to a pre-game loading screen. Still need to be filled up with content, but the functions are all there and all automated! With loading comes scene management, including level transitioning, level properties, and game resetting. Very important! Items are functional (albeit non-existent), and various overlays work, including the HUD, and more!
An important lesson I learned from working on the (currently shelved) Monochrome Engine was automate and prefab everything! This has become even more crucial working with Unity as it is such an object-oriented engine whereas M.E. was more self-managed by a single, way-too-big script controlling various classes. Working with a professional game engine that manages a lot of the difficult things (such as physics and lighting) just helps so much. Of course, even though I’m improving and the project is getting done, I’ve learned I need to branch out a bit and ask for help from other professional friends. I guess we’ll see how it goes, gotta look after myself as well!
Till next time, all the best!