On-time! Woo! The past two weeks have been up-and-down with productivity. I’ve been getting the last bits of the Demo tied up before I do all the final visuals, working on the story for the graphic novel, and doing more tests for the card game.
With the Demo, I’ve managed to (finally!) fix up two non-game breaking but very irritating bugs that have been sitting on the to-do list for a long time; thought bubble sync and trigger collision-detection. The engine uses thought-bubbles to tell the player when they can perform a certain action, and I had originally written up an animation-dependent function earlier on in the engine development (while I was still learning) to have the thought bubbles appear. However over time I realised animation-dependent functions open up a world of errors, and as such I re-wrote it so that it is handled by the script (how a proper program works, which is why I have done this with most animation-dependent functions) and it now looks and operates much cleaner. This works in-hand with the trigger collision-detection patch which now allows running a wider and more accurate check for the player hitting and interacting with certain triggers, which has made the triggers hit more cleanly and general game-play much smoother and more fast-paced. According to my to-do list I don’t think I have any more recorded bug-fixes left (one can only hope) so it is now onto finishing up the last small sections and doing all the final visuals!
I’ve also been working on my other projects! I’ve had a few good meet-ups with my amazing artist and we’ve been making great progress to forming the story and the art for the graphic novel! I get more and more excited every time we meet up! I’ve also been able to test my current card game a few more times in different numbers and have a pretty good idea about how to modify it for the next iteration.
All in all, despite many other distractions/commitments, I think I’ve been making pretty good progress! I look forward to next time, till then, all the best!